Styling A Curvy Body
I get requests all the time about styling other body types. So today…I’m finally doing it! You’ll see in the photos (below) that I’m styling Anna, a school teacher here in Telluride. She’s wearing head to toe spring looks from JCPenney and I’m explaining why each piece works for her curvy body type.
I uploaded a VIDEO version of this post that you can watch here.
Must Watch Video
Another great resource for curvy body types… this video featuring 24 tips on how to hide a tummy.
Anna is a music teacher in Telluride, Colorado. She works with kids Pre-K to 3rd grade as well as some high school kids. She likes to be comfortable and functional because she’s on her feet all day. Most of her outfits need to be casual and comfortable, but she also looks for dressier outfits for date night and performances.
Anna’s Style Struggles
With a curvy body, Anna says it’s hard to find clothes that fit and flatter her body. She says it’s also tough to dress here in Colorado because of the unpredictable and sometimes severe weather. People also dress very casually here in this mountain resort town.
Anna’s Style – Modern Classic
Tips For A Curvy Body Type
- Tailored and Body Skimming Clothing Show Off Your Shape! Sometimes we wear bigger clothing to hide our problem areas. If you are curvy, you may look larger wearing clothes with all over volume. Wearing fitted or body-skimming pieces will actually create a more slimming look. If you do wear a billowy top, wear something fitted on your lower half.
- Know What Flatters YOUR Body. There are certain styles that can make you look slimmer. For example, wrap tops/dresses work beautifully to hide a tummy while still creating a feminine and beautiful hourglass shape. I posted ten tips to help you look slimmer here.
- Use Accessories Strategically Wear pieces and accessories that draw the eye away from a problem area. For example, a statement necklace or interesting neckline draws the eye up toward your face.
- Colors & Prints. We all know this, but it’s worth repeating. Dark colors are more slimming! When it comes to prints, bigger prints will make you look larger, so you might prefer smaller scale prints like polka dots. Vertical stripes are also very slimming and flattering. When in doubt with prints, wear one piece and keep the rest of your look neutral.
- Shapewear. Consider investing in quality shapewear. I prefer skirts with shapewear so I don’t have a big issue in the bathroom. I also love a tank with tummy control.
- Fabric Choice. More structured fabrics will help hide lumps and bumps. If you are curvy and want to look slimmer, structured fabrics are the best.
- Know Your Body Shape. Understanding YOUR body is key! Once you see it, you can dress to maximize your assets and minimize your problem area. I’ve done a video on identifying your body type that you can watch here.
- Try Different Sizes. A size 12 at one store may not be a size 12 at another store. That’s why it’s a good idea to try different sizes! Order two or three sizes, try them on, and decide what fits you best.
Curvy Bloggers You Might Like…
Follow Sarah Tripp from Sassy Red Lipstick. She’s gorgeous, has great style, shares tons of great style tips, body positivity tips, and so much more! I love her style! I also recently met her and I think she’s just as sweet as can be. You can check out her website here.
Premme is a new plus size clothing line by plus size fashion influencers Gabi Gregg and Nicolette Mason. The fashion-forward and fun collection is available in sizes 12-30 and is super affordable! Nicolette and I were on the Ulta Beauty shoot together. I loved meeting her!!
Pieces For Anna & Why They Are Flattering
I strategically chose pieces that flatter Anna’s body type. I also looked for things that worked for her style and lifestyle. Here’s a brief rundown on what I picked and why:
- Dark Wash Skinny Jeans – Dark wash skinny jeans are a must-have and very flattering!
- Blue Blouse – The peplum hem is loose and forgiving while the empire waist creates a beautiful shape. The keyhole neckline is sexy but modest. And the sleeves are lightweight, cool, and give lots of room. The ruching in the back adds another pretty detail. And the length is very flattering.
- Black Strappy Heels – Perfect for date night!
- Black Cross Front Top – It’s a classic black top with a twist. It’s black so it’s very slimming. The criss-cross detail is very sexy and it draws the eye up toward Anna’s face.
- Black Mules – These are a gorgeous pair of heels and super sexy!
- White Blouse – This top is fun, pretty and feminine. Since it’s a classic v neckline, it’s very flattering. The empire waist is another slimming detail. The top is billowy, but not too flowy. It’s body-skimming.
- Layered Necklace – This is a necklace that comes pre-layered, which I love because it makes it more simple! It’s perfect with a v-neck top!
- Floral Sneaker Flats – I love the floral print and that they have an open back! They’re comfortable and a fun pair of shoes for spring! They are perfect for school for Anna.
- White Jeans – I love the split hem on these jeans. They frame a shoe beautifully.
- Dark Blue Top – I love the cool strap detail because it makes the basic blouse look modern and fresh. The sleeves also give her a lot of room to move. It’s cool and lightweight for spring. And it has a SUPER flattering faux wrap front for hiding the tummy area while still giving you shape.
- Brown Shoes – These shoes have fun strappy details that are pretty and fun for spring!
- White Dress – This dress is pretty, bright, and lightweight. It’s a great length with a flattering and forgiving flowy skirt. Since it has a v-neck, you can wear a cami for more coverage. And the wrap style dress creates a gorgeous, hourglass shape.
- Pink Metallic Sneakers – They’re functional and stylish!
- Black & White Dress – This sheath dress has beautiful (and strategic) contrasting white stripes that create an empire waist. The length of this dress is perfect…even on someone tall like Anna!
- Matching Jacket – This jacket draped over your shoulder creates a very modern and chic feel. And the lines again are so slimming!!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my exclusive newsletter here. And, thank you for stopping by!
Photos by Josh King