How To Wear Denim Shorts
Remember these shorts from Instagram.? I talked about how awesome they are because they are not scandalously short like most denim shorts.
Before you dismiss these, thinking there is NO way you can wear these, hear me out. If you like your legs (I know some of you don’t because of skin laxity or veins), I think you can wear these regardless of your age.
These shorts are by AGOLDE. This line is by the same designer as 7 For All Mankind and Citizens of Humanity…both amazing brands! These shorts give me a 90s vibe I love, but with a twist. I love the minimal distressing, raw hem, and high waist. These are not your average high waist shorts…they have a 12.25” rise! So you feel very secure and tucked in. The inseam is 4” so they’re not too short and completely cover your bum. I’m wearing a black cutout tee, comfortable white sneakers, and my favorite Panama hat to finish off the look!
How To Find The Perfect Denim Shorts
I did a video on how to wear shorts over 40 with lots of great tips that you can watch here.
- Check The Rise – The shorts above have an 11” rise, so they’re very high waisted, which is quite flattering. Anywhere from 9” to 12” inches is considered high rise. I prefer high waist shorts because they make my legs look longer!
- Check The Inseam – I usually like to wear shorts with an inseam between 3” and 5”. 3 inches is pretty short, but if you are petite like me, you can get away with it. If you are taller (think 5’7″+) I wouldn’t go shorter than 5″.
- Size Up – With denim shorts, it’s best to size up one size. You don’t want anything too tight in the waist creating a muffin top.
- Think About Fit & Fabric – Give yourself some breathing room in the leg area (sizing up helps here). If the leg holes are a bit wider, it will make your thighs look smaller! Denim is traditionally more structured which helps with hiding lumps and bumps. If the fit is tight around the legs, they are not the right shorts, send them back and try again.
- Bend Over – “Moon River. Hey doc, you ever serve time?” Anyone know that quote?? 😉 For REAL, when you put on the shorts, turn around in the mirror and bend over. I would also drop something and pick it up off the ground. If you can see your bum in that process, they are not the right fit. This is likely due to the rise.
- Fingertip Test – How short is too short?? When in doubt, you can try the fingertip test. Put your arms down by your sides. If your shorts are WAY shorter than the end of your fingertips, you might want to opt for a longer inseam. If they are close or even below the fingertips, you are good! If you have longer arms, be sure to add that into your calculation here. And, remember this is just a guideline. You do not have to adhere to this rule.