Are you a bag, shoe or jacket girl?? For me…it’s kind of all three, but if you said, “Erin, you MUST choose one,” I’m going with jackets EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have a huge collection of jackets and coats that thankfully I can now utilize since we live in a 4-season climate here in Telluride, Colorado. There are so many different types of jackets: the traditional and oversized boyfriend blazers, moto, cargo and bomber jackets, etc. But, the unsung hero of my jacket collection is the cropped blazer! Cropped blazers can be incredibly chic and modern. They’re also a great option if you’re petite. I’ve found a cool cropped blazer that’s only $60! See the edgy way I style it, plus more KEY style tips on how to wear a cropped blazer over 40 below…
For tips on how to wear a boyfriend blazer, check out this post.
Look #1) With White Jeans
First, we MUST talk about the hero piece… this blazer. It’s a navy wrap style cropped blazer by 4th & Reckless. This blazer style is very on-trend right now so if the trend really speaks to you, you should try it out! It has subtle shoulder pads, modern peaked lapels, and a cool button strap detail across the back.
In this look, I’m wearing a white button-down shirt by Open Edit. You’ll be seeing this white shirt a lot more this summer… I’ve had it for a few weeks and have already worn it many times. It’s a great basic with a twist. It oversized and has a longer hemline, wide sleeves, and it’s 100% cotton so it’s very cool. I left the shirt peeking out from under the cropped blazer with the bottom button left undone for a cool, layered look. I also pulled the collar out. To look longer and more streamlined, I paired the shirt and jacket with a pair of white flared jeans by Frame. The exact pair is sold out but these are very similar. On my feet, I’m wearing a pair of See by Chloe espadrille wedges.
Shop more blazers here.
By the way, this is the Malibu Pier near the Malibu Beach Inn where I stayed during my recent visit. Isn’t it SO pretty? I went to California to visit energy practitioner, John Amaral from the “Goop Lab” Netflix special. I’ll write about that experience soon!
For the #1 way to wear jeans with confidence, check out this post.
Look #2) With Denim Shorts
For the second look, I went for more of an elevated, casual, yet unexpected look. Instead of wearing white jeans, I styled the same blazer and white shirt with denim shorts! These denim shorts are by Levi’s and are on the shorter side. But if you love showing off your legs, these are great! Some other denim shorts I love that have longer inseams are the Packard shorts by Moussy and the Dee and Parker shorts by Agolde. I completed the look with the same See by Chloe wedges I’m wearing from look #1. The shoes make my legs look even longer, which I love. But you could also wear smaller heels, flat sandals or even sneakers.
Shop more denim shorts here.
If you’re curious about how to find the perfect (age-appropriate) denim shorts over 40, then this post is a must-read!
Cropped Blazer Styling Tips
- Extend The Hem – By wearing a longer top underneath your blazer, you’re lengthening the hemline. You can try a matching color for a more slimming effect or wear a contrasting color for a modern look. Be careful though, that contrasting color could highlight a problem area.
- Matching Bottoms – Matching your pants/jeans to your undershirt will create an even longer line. In my look above, you can see how much taller I look when I wear white jeans that look like a continuation of the white shirt. Wearing flared jeans with sky high wedges also helps!
- Mix Styles – Make sure you mix your cropped blazer with different styles to get that perfect combination of casual sophistication. I love mixing edgy with elegant pieces.
- Under The Blazer – Don’t forget to wear something under your blazer that can stand alone so when you get warm, you can comfortably take off the blazer.
- Play Around With Cuffs – Change up how you cuff your blazer. In my looks, you can see my white button-down peeking out under the cuff of my blazer. You could cuff the blazer itself, wear a shirt with flared sleeves that peek out for drama…play around and see what you like!
- Shoes Matter – When you wear something cropped, it will shorten your upper body and in contrast, lengthen your legs. Exaggerate that effect by wearing sky high wedges or heels for mile long, supermodel legs!
Which look do you prefer above? #1 or #2? Please let us know if you have any questions in the comments below!