I get the question, “Can I still wear (insert controversial fashion item) if I’m over 40?” I’ve been asked about everything from skinny jeans to denim shorts to espadrille wedges and SO much more! I like to say that you can wear anything you still feel comfortable and confident in. But…as women over 40, we need to be careful about how we wear these controversial items! I’m sharing five of the most controversial and most asked about fashion items and how you can wear them over 40.
#1 | Denim Shorts
Denim shorts…one of the most polarizing items! Half of you say it’s time to throw them out while the other half love them! I’m a big fan of jean shorts during the spring and summer. I’ve done an entire video on how to wear shorts over 40 that’s a must-watch! My favorite denim shorts are these super high rise shorts by Agolde.
Quick Tips for Wearing Denim Shorts Over 40
- If you’re wearing shorts, add coverage on top with a long sleeve blouse or third layer like a blazer or jacket.
- Find shorts with a longer inseam. I suggest at least a 3” inseam or longer!
- I also love shorts with roomier legs because it actually makes your legs look slimmer. A higher rise will cinch that waist too!
- Dress up your shorts! Denim shorts are casual but if you pair them with dressier pieces, they look more elegant.
#2 | Deep V Necklines
The next controversial fashion item…v-necklines! There’s a fine line between wearing a classy, sexy deep v and showing too much cleavage. Some of us just aren’t comfortable with that part of our body, some don’t love the skin on their décolletage, and others think it’s just inappropriate. I completely understand not wanting to show off that part of your body. But I wouldn’t say that women over 40 can’t wear v-necklines.
Quick Tips for Styling Low Necklines
- If you’re going for the sexy deep v look but aren’t sure if it’s appropriate, add a pretty lace cami or bralette underneath. You’ll still get the sexy look but take away the anxiety of the neckline possibly being inappropriate.
- For normal v-neck tops, I look for the v to end right above my cleavage to avoid too much showing.
- This changes for a special occasion or statement pieces. If you’re going for a statement piece, you can get away with a deeper v sometimes!
- If you’re wearing a deep v, add coverage with jeans or a longer hem.
#3 | Crop Tops
I’m not a huge fan of crop tops but I do own a few! When women ask if they can wear them, I do have a few tips!
Quick Tips for Rocking a Crop Top After 40
- Pair the crop top with a higher rise bottom so you don’t show any belly.
- If it’s cropped, make sure it’s not tight. A looser fitting crop top is easier to style and won’t be too “young-looking.”
#4 | Over The Knee Boots
Every fall/winter season you all ask me if over the knee boots are out of style. OTK boots are still in style and can look super chic and sexy if you style them correctly. I shared three ways to wear OTK boots here.
Quick Tips for Wearing OTK Boots
- Avoid pairing OTK boots with short skirts and dresses. Many influencers on Instagram do this and it’s fine if you’re in your 20s…but styling them with jeans or pants is much classier for women over 40!
- Going with a basic black, brown, or taupe colored boot will also look more classic and be easier to style.
- There are a lot of OTK boot styles out there. I’d look for some that are high quality with no visible hardware or stitching, a pointed toe, and a block heel. I’ve tried a few brands and my absolute favorites are the Stuart Weitzman pair. They’re an investment but you can find some that are more affordable too!
#5 | Leggings
Leggings are probably one of the most controversial fashion items no matter what your age! Some people feel very strongly you can’t wear leggings as pants! I’ve styled leggings a couple of different ways and believe you can definitely wear them! They’re comfortable, easy, and can be dressed up or down! I’ve shared how to wear leggings and look chic in this video and post.
Quick Tips for Age-Appropriate Outfits With Leggings
- Cover your bottom with longer tops and sweaters or a third layer.
- Shoe choice is important…your shoes can really elevate a leggings outfit!
What are some controversial fashion items over 40 that you have questions about? Please share in the comments!
To get my blog posts delivered directly to your inbox, along with some awesome freebies, be sure to sign up for my newsletter here.
Thank you for stopping by!
Photos by: Aurelie Slegers