Easy 1 Minute Updos!
Want to create elegant, sophisticated hairstyles, but don’t have that much time? Probably most of us, right?! I love to do my hair, have pretty much every hair tool out there, and have tried A LOT of hairstyles. I’m walking you through 5 quick and easy updos that will have you out the door in no time. These are easy hairstyles to do yourself that take less than 1 minute (YES, 60 seconds!!) but will help you look pulled together, chic, and sophisticated.
I’ll be describing how I do each of these hairstyles below. But if you’re interested in watching me do them, you can watch the video here.
Easy Updo #1) Sophisticated Ponytail
This updo takes me less than a minute to do and I promise it’s SO easy. This is a go-to for me usually with Day 2 hair…meaning I blow-dried it the day before (Day 1) so today it’s just looking a little flatter, not as fluffy and voluminous, etc. Instead of blow-drying it again, here’s what you do…
- Add a little dry shampoo and brush it out! You don’t have to use dry shampoo but sometimes it can help with volume.
- Brush it straight back, take a hair tie, and put it into a ponytail. The height of your ponytail is your choice, but I put mine up a little higher on my head.
- Take a small piece from underneath the ponytail and wrap it around the hair tie.
- Once the hair is covering the hair tie, you can either pin it or tuck it into the hair tie (which is what I did).
- Optional: Pull out some pieces in the front.
- Optional: Grab your ponytail in the back to keep it in place. Take your other hand and (like a claw) start lightly pulling at your hair at the top. This will give you a little more volume.
By the way, I’ve talked about more hairstyles and how being over 40 does NOT mean you’re too old for ponytails in this post in case you’re interested!
Easy Updo #2) Sophisticated High Bun
For this sophisticated take on a top knot bun, here’s what you’ll do…
- Brush your hair back like you’re about to put your hair in a ponytail. You’ll want to put it a little higher for the top knot look. But wait! Don’t put the hair tie in yet…
- You’ll start twisting (around your pointer finger) and wrapping (in a circle) your hair into a “knot” on your head.
- Some people use pins, but I just use a hair tie. I try to wrap it around 3 times so it’s super tight, but depending on how much hair you have, you might only be able to wrap it twice.
- This is KEY! Take one side of your bun with one hand, and the other side with your other hand…gently pull in opposite directions. Repeat all the way around. I’m keeping it tight by pulling in opposite directions but making it bigger!
- Optional: Pull out some pieces in the front.
60 seconds, voila!
Easy Updo #3) Chic Low Bun
Next up…an option for women who prefer to wear their hair lower down on their head!
- Instead of brushing back and up…brush it down to create a low ponytail. You can keep a few pieces/your bangs out in the front.
- Wrap your hair tie around the low ponytail 3 times…but instead of pulling it all the way through on the 3rd wrap, leave a tail so that it creates a little bun in the back.
- Wrap the tail around the ponytail and tuck it into the hair tie. You’ll want the tail to tuck in underneath the bun. If you have a ton of layers, you’ll probably need to do some pinning.
Easy Updo #4) Low Twist
Next up…a very chic and sophisticated option you can use every day or when you need a quick updo for an event that takes no time at all! Follow these steps…
- Brush it down to create a low ponytail with your hair tie. You can keep a few pieces/your bangs out in the front.
- Split the ponytail in 2 just above the hair tie.
- Tuck the ponytail into the hole you just made.
- You can pull it through and tighten it for a super easy, less than 30-second, low ponytail. BUT, if you want to take it a step further, here’s how…
- Take a clear, plastic band and create a short loop with the excess ponytail (leaving out a little tail). With the extra tail, wrap it around the loop you just created and tuck it into the clear plastic band.
Easy Updo #5) Low Knot Bun
With all of these hairstyles, you can make them either really sleek or keep them messy. With this hairstyle, in particular, I’d leave it messy!
- Brush your hair down and back like you’re going to create a ponytail at the nape of the neck.
- You’ll start twisting (around your pointer finger) and wrapping (in a circle) your hair into a “knot.”
- Wrap your hair tie around 2-3 times.
- Take one side of your bun with one hand, and the other side with your other hand…gently pull in opposite directions. Repeat all the way around.
- If it feels like the bun is too high, just lightly push it down. If you don’t like the separation between the bun and scalp, feel free to pin the bun to your head.
Remember, you can watch me do all of these hairstyles in this video in case you need that visual instead!
More Hair Inspiration
If you’re looking for more blog posts about hair, hairstyle, hair health, and more, you can find them all here! I’ve also linked a few hair videos you’ll love below…
5 Ways to Style Your Hair to Look *10 Years YOUNGER!*
10 LIFE-CHANGING Secrets for Thicker Hair *Must Watch!*
5 Hair Mistakes Making You Look 10 Years Older
The HOTTEST Hairstyle Trend You need to try! How to Style Curtain Bangs Over 40 (3 Ways)
Have you tried one of these updos? Let us know in the comments below!
To get blog posts delivered directly to your inbox, along with some exclusive style resources, be sure to sign up for the newsletter here.
Thank you for stopping by!