Tips For Wearing A Hat
Guys have it easy…they can throw on a hat and instantly look decent! Wearing a hat is a little harder for us women. But, a hat is an easy way to add chicness to your outfit! You see a woman with a hat and you think, “Wow, she’s cool!” It’s called “The Hat Effect,” according to fellow YouTuber, Carly Cristman. I just love it… “The Hat Effect.” You seriously do take notice of a woman wearing a hat, right? Think about it.
If you have any style questions…there’s a place for that! I’ve started the Busbee Style Hive where my team and I directly answer all of your style questions.
Finding The Perfect Hat
First, I want to talk about the hat I’m wearing. It’s by Rag & Bone and also comes in black! It’s a wool, menswear-inspired hat with a leather strap, and a slightly floppy brim. I’ve also linked more options for you below! Now for my top tips…
- Avoid hats with brims that are wider than your shoulders: You don’t want the hat to be so wide that you can’t sit shoulder to shoulder with someone. Unless it’s a sun hat for the beach of course…keep that skin protected!
- Find a hat that’s neutral, casual, and therefore easy to style: As you can see above, the hat I’m wearing is a neutral color that can easily be styled with multiple colors and outfits!
- Skip earrings: Sometimes having a hat AND earrings on can be a little too much. Wear simple studs or no earrings at all.
- Coordinate colors: I’m not saying that your hat has to exactly match your outfit. It just needs to coordinate. The taupe in my hat (above) matches my bag while the brown leather strap is the same color as my brown belt and shoes. Be thoughtful about tieing the colors together.
- Adjust the angle of your hat to decide what looks best: You may get a hat, put it on, and decide that you look ridiculous. But don’t write it off completely! Sometimes the hat just needs to be tilted to the side or adjusted a little. Play with the angle to see what works!
- Experiment with different styles: There are tons of hat styles out there…newsboy, baseball, Panama, fedora, beret, floppy, cowboy or western-inspired, sun, beanies, etc. My point is that there are so many styles out there; you can find one that works for you! If you hate the fedora, try a floppy brim hat. The Colorado moms all wear trucker hats. Do you know what those are?? I love the look on other women, it just doesn’t feel like me, so I don’t wear one.
- Do I have to take the hat off when I go inside? And if so, how do I avoid hat hair? If your hat clearly compliments your outfit, leave it on. Meaning that if you styled an outfit to include the hat, people will realize that and won’t think it’s weird that you keep it on. And then you can avoid hat hair!
- Do I wear my hair up or down with a hat? Normally, I wear my hair down. But you can do either! Your hair might look better up with certain styles. But my fail-safe is wearing my hair down.