There are many reasons to add a bench to the end of your bed. When we moved into our modern mountain home, I knew I wanted a different bedroom bench. The one that the house came with was HUGE, clunky, and took up too much space, and I wanted something slimmer and more glamorous. In this post, I’m sharing why you should add a bench to the end of your bed and what to look for when you start shopping!
For a full home tour, you can check out this post and video here.
Why Add A Bench at the End of Your Bed?
- It’s stylish! Adding a bench is a way to add an extra detail to a room that shows your personality and ties the decor together!
- It adds dimension, texture, and marks the end of your bed.
- If you get one with storage, it can add some extra space if that’s an issue for you! And even if it’s not, it’s a place you can store all those extra throw pillows!
- A bench at the end of the bed is so practical! You can sit on it, set stuff on it, and most importantly…you have a place to sit and put on your shoes!
I literally use my bench every day, multiple times a day. I do tricep dips from the bench… Fasten straps on sandals and shoes… tie shoes… use it to store pillows before climbing into bed. Our golden, Traveler uses it to hop on the bed. It serves SO many purposes!
Picking Out The Right Bench
- Look for contrasting textures to add dimension. Look at the closeup picture of our textures above. Even if you have similar color tones, adding texture adds SO much interest to your master!
- Think about the depth. You don’t want something that’s so bulky it becomes an inconvenience or hazard to walk around. We opted for a slimmer one to give us more floor space.
- Some benches have backs. Is your bench going to be something you sit on and relax? Or do you want it mostly for style reasons? If it’s the latter, get one without a back!
- Look for a bench that’s shorter than the full length of your bed. As you can see, we have more than a foot of space on each side of our bench to the corners of the bed.
- The height of the bench is also important. It shouldn’t be taller than the height of your bed.
More Bedroom Benches
The bench you pick is completely up to you and your style. Everyone’s home and taste is different. Hopefully, my bench finds provide some inspiration to help your search!
More End Of Bed Options
A bench at the end of your bed is not the only option! There are lots of possibilities and it really depends on your space. Some other ideas…
- Add a sofa or club chairs to create a peaceful sitting area to enjoy coffee, watch tv, or just sit and relax! Your bedroom should be a retreat and creating an extra living area to “get away” from it all is a nice option!
- Add two small, matching stools. These provide the same function as the bench but give your room a different look.
- Add a special character piece like an antique cabinet, chest, or trunk. This gives you a way to show off those vintage pieces you love. (And, maybe add storage too.)
Don’t forget to check out my full home tour here for more furniture favorites and home decor ideas!
Thank you for stopping by!