Nothing looks more luxe over a fall or winter outfit than a gorgeous camel coat. It adds sophistication, elegance, and chicness to any look. And it’s so simple to throw on! I’m breaking down how to find the perfect camel coat. Plus, sharing my favorite a few others you’ll love!
The Perfect Camel Coat
Finding the right camel coat can be difficult and depending on the quality you’re looking for…expensive! But you don’t have to spend a ton of money…that’s the beauty of a camel coat. Pretty much any camel coat you buy will still make your outfit look more expensive and stylish! There are a few things you should think about when searching for your perfect camel coat…
- Fabric – Depending on where you live and how you’ll be wearing the coat, you need to think about the fabric. If you live in a cold climate and will be wearing your coat for style AND warm, look for one that’s wool, cashmere, alpaca, or a wool/cashmere blend.
- Weight – The weight of the jacket goes along with the fabric and ultimately depends on your climate. Will you be layering it over sweaters? Sweaters and jackets? If you’ll wear it over a huge puffer to stay warm, get a coat with some heft.
- Color – Obviously we’re talking about camel coats here…but there are a ton of shades to choose from! Pick a color that works well with the rest of your wardrobe.
- Fit – There are also a ton of different styles and fits to choose from! I prefer a wrap coat so I can tie it how I like and add shape OR leave it open. But there are double-breasted camel coats, one-button camel coats, slouchy camel coats, funnel neck camel coats, and so much more! Find a fit that’s flattering on your body and works well with your style.
- Details – The small things like stitching and buttons can change the look of a camel coat and make it look less expensive. If you find a coat that’s perfect for you but the buttons look cheap, that’s a simple fix! You can take a fairly affordable
I bought my Ralph Lauren camel coat a few years ago and it’s a go-to for fall and winter. I can throw it over a simple look to elevate it or wear it with a dressier look to make it look even more sophisticated. This coat is a wool blend so it’s very warm. During the winter I can wear another jacket and a thick sweater underneath. Check out how to layer a moto jacket under a camel coat here. The wrap style is really flattering and I love that I can also wear it open with the belt tied in the back. It’s fully lined, has fold-over cuffs, and two pockets on the waist. I love the notched lapel…it adds an extra detail that makes the coat look even more luxe. The color is perfect but it also comes in classic black and a gorgeous cream color. I also love the length.
Make sure you check out this post with my thoughts on if the Max Mara Manuela Camel Hair Coat is worth the investment.
More Camel Coats
No matter what your style, there’s probably a camel coat out there for you! Do your research to find one that’s in your budget, flattering, and that you LOVE! These are a few of my favorites…
Shop more camel coats here.
Have you found the perfect camel coat yet? Please share in the comments below!
To get my blog posts delivered directly to your inbox, along with some awesome freebies, be sure to sign up for my newsletter here.
Thank you for stopping by!
Photos by: Aurelie Slegers