Though our friends in Idaho might disagree, spring/summer is in the air. We’ve “sprung forward” (and suffered endlessly with that lost hour), perfected the art of Zoom outfitting (waist-up only please), scheduled our first real Mani/Pedi (Essie’s Cupid Beau), and are counting the days when we can actually consider an outing beyond our zip code. There’s a freshness and newness in the air. And where better to experiment with ‘fresh and new’ than with trending summer makeup looks. This summer promises a much-needed return to bold, fun makeup. Along with statement lips and pastel eyes, bold brows are poised to be some of the most popular makeup looks this summer.
Of course, as with all trends, pick and choose what you love and what works for you and your lifestyle. After all, not all of us are ready to embrace tie-dye eyes (yep, that’s a thing…Google it)!
1) Bold Lips
We did an entire post on lip colors and “bold” stole the show. Change it up for summer with softer, creamier formulas in poppy, coral or fuchsia. It is an easy trend that polishes up any look and brightens your complexion as well as your mood.
For Brunettes & Medium to Dark Skin Tones
For Blondes & Lighter Skin Tones
2) Bold Eyeliner
Ditch your brown and black liner for a color that pops. Blues, greens, purples, burnt orange and more. I love, love this look! It’s so simple and yet so chic. Very wearable! I love it alone with neutral lips. But it’s also gorgeous added on top/near your existing liner. If you’re afraid of the bolder colors but want to try out the trend, go for something that compliments your eye color…maybe instead of black eyeliner, you can try a subtle green.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide Eyeliner – Tons of bright shades. I love Freak, Viper, and Woodstock which would work on most women’s skin tones.
- ColourPop BFF – Super affordable, making this an easy trend to try. Ducky for brunettes/brown eyes and Crzy (deep sapphire) for those with fairer complexions.
3) Bright Eyeshadow
Stay with me here. You don’t need to go full Rihanna. Using a fluffy brush, keep the color on the lower lid only, with just a few swipes. Add mascara but skip the liner. Highlighter on cheeks and neutral gloss on the lips. Pass the mojito!
- NARS Single Eyeshadow – Matcha (light green) and Strada (purple) would look amazing as a fresh color wash or just used as a liner with a wet brush.
- NYX Brights Ultimate – Love this affordable little palette, which offers lots of fun options. Avoid looking like a 14-year-old and apply the color with a fluffy brush so you get a wash of color. Add some blush and nude lip, and it’s now a fresh, modern summer look.
Hmm, aren’t metallics classic at this point? Given that most of us have something with a gorgeous metallic finish in our makeup bag, it doesn’t seem like a trend. But this summer, it’s about the application, which provides an easy way to instantly create drama in your look. You can use metallic products on the eyes, lips, cheeks and even brows if you want to create a nighttime glow. Of course, it’s equally wearable during the day – just stick to one feature (I love a glossy, metallic lip).
- Natasha Denona Chromium Multichrome Liquid Eyeshadow – Shade Dragonfly is gorgeous!
- INC.redible Lid Slick Eye Pigment in Just Do You – My inner flower child loves this.
- Juicy Skin Care Body Shimmer Fragrance Free Lotion – Goes on so beautifully.
- Hourglass Ambient Metallic Strobe Lighting Palette – Three shades offer something for every skin tone.
- Iconic London Liquid Illuminator – Supposed to be for face, but mix it with your body lotion for an all-over glow.
- Fenty Gloss Bomb Universal – I’ve written about this gloss before. I have Fenty Glow (nude) and Hot Chocolit and both are excellent. Not remotely tacky…I often use them as highlighters, too.
Do you have a favorite beauty trend that didn’t make our list? Please share in the comments. For more fun beauty tips, get our blog posts delivered directly to your inbox, along with some next-level freebies, when you sign up for the Busbee Style newsletter here.