Styling The Basics | White Button-Down
One of the chicest basics in your wardrobe… the white button-down shirt! This is one of those versatile pieces you’ll wear again and again. In case you missed it, I covered the classic black blazer here. Remember that without the basics, your wardrobe can’t function properly. I give out freebie basics checklists when you subscribe to my newsletter here. Download and print these to help you.
Below are some tips and recommendations to help you find the perfect white button down for YOU.
Criteria for the Perfect White Button Down Shirt
- Consider your fabric choice. A no-iron option will be easier to take care of
- Find a shirt that doesn’t gape or stretch around the buttons. If it does, you should try on a different size or different fit.
- Fit is KEY! Make sure it’s not too tight on your arms, shoulder, chest, etc.
- Don’t be afraid of tailoring. Tailoring can bring the white button-down shirt up 10 levels
- Avoid buttons that stand out. For a classic look, go with a shirt that has white or off white buttons.
- Think about how you’ll wear your shirt. Whether you want to wear it tucked in or untucked, make sure the length works for you and how you want to style it. For example, if you plan to tuck into trousers, I would opt for a shorter hemline shirt or even a bodysuit so you don’t have extra bulk around the tummy.
Go-To Brands For White Button Downs
If you want a softer, thinner cotton shirt…check out the Frank & Eileen line. I also really love this Bella Dahl shirt. Both of those are a little pricey so I linked other options above. For less expensive options check out Loft, The Limited, and H&M. I also love Banana Republic’s white button-downs. This one is stain-resistant!
How To Style
A white button-down shirt can elevate your look. Whether you’re wearing it with jeans or office wear. You can wear it with jeans, skirts, pants, and even under dresses. You can see how I styled it in this post. My go-to look is jeans and a white button down. It also looks great with a blazer, leather jacket, suede jacket, etc.
What To Wear UNDER the Button Down
You might be able to find a white button-down that doesn’t require wearing anything underneath, but a nude bra. But if you do need something to wear underneath, I suggest a tank or camisole. I’m a brand ambassador for Jockey now and I just grabbed this Jockey slimming tank. It has built-in tummy control. They also have a seamless tank that’s very comfortable. You can also simply wear a regular cotton tank or cami. All of the Jockey tanks are long, which is a bonus for those with long torsos. For a dressier and sexier look, try a lace cami underneath.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my exclusive newsletter here. And, thank you for stopping by!