A white button-down shirt is a wardrobe staple no matter what your age! But as we get older, we need more tailored (pun intended), curated closets. That’s why I always talk about the wardrobe basics checklists. Having those basics makes it easier to get dressed and build a sophisticated, chic outfit every single day. A white button-down is one of those basics! If you haven’t gotten those checklists, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter here.
Watch this video with 6 edgy, stylish ways to wear your white button-down!
Why Own A Button-Down??
- It’s versatile. You can layer a white button-down under almost anything and wear it with pants, jeans, skirts, shorts, etc. You can also wear it in so many unique ways…as I show in this video.
- It can be dressed up or down. Want to wear jeans but look polished? Throw on a white button-down. Need to look professional at work? Throw on a white button-down! It’s so easy to style for almost any occasion.
- It’s timeless. The white button-down has been around a long time…and has NEVER gone out of style! This isn’t a trendy piece you’ll throw out. It’s something you can invest in and wear over and over again.
Find five of my favorite white button-downs below…Plus, criteria for selecting the perfect white button-down, how to style a white button-down, and what to wear underneath!
This Rails shirt has been a heavy hitter for me this spring and summer. It’s 100% cotton so it’s lightweight and keeps you cool. It definitely has a more casual, relaxed look but will still make you look chic and sophisticated. I like to roll the sleeves up and tuck it into the front of my jeans or tie it in a knot at the waist.
More from Rails here.
For something dressier, this Lilysilk button-down is a nice option. Lilysilk is known for their amazing silk fabric. It looks and feels super luxe and chic. But you can still wear it with jeans. I’ve also added a lace cami to make it a little sexier for date night. It would also be a beautiful shirt to wear to work if you’re going into the office or if you just want to look sophisticated and polished for a Zoom call! Find more tips on how to look professional during Zoom calls here.
More Lilysilk shirts here.
Both of the previous button-downs are super high quality and amazing options. But if you want a higher-end option to invest in, I recommend this Lafayette 148 shirt. It’s a stylish, crisp white button-down that you’ll be able to wear for years.
More Lafayette 148 shirts here.
I featured this cool white button down by Billie The Label in my shop like a pro video. It’s not just a basic button down… It has a cool popped collar and puff shoulders. These elements make it more modern and special. This is the perfect shirt for you fashionistas who need a white button-down but want something a bit more unique!
More by Billie The Label here.
This is our Community Manager Denise’s favorite white button down. It has two buttons at the bust, so you don’t get that gaping or pulling around the chest. Which makes it perfect for bustier women!
Shop more The Shirt best sellers here.
Criteria for the Perfect White Button-Down Shirt
- Consider your fabric choice. A no-iron option will be easier to take care of.
- Find a shirt that doesn’t gape or stretch around the buttons. If it does, you should try on a different size or different fit.
- Fit is KEY! Make sure it’s not too tight on your arms, shoulder, chest, etc.
- Don’t be afraid of tailoring. Tailoring can bring the white button-down shirt up 10 levels.
- Avoid buttons that stand out. For a classic look, go with a shirt that has white or off white buttons.
- Think about how you’ll wear your shirt. Whether you want to wear it tucked in or untucked, make sure the length works for you and how you want to style it. For example, if you plan to tuck into trousers, I would opt for a shorter hemline shirt or even a bodysuit so you don’t have extra bulk around the tummy.
Go-To Brands For White Button Downs
If you want a softer, thinner cotton shirt…check out the Frank & Eileen line. I also really love this Bella Dahl shirt. Both of those are a little pricey so I linked other options above. For less expensive options check out Loft, The Limited, and H&M. I also love Banana Republic’s white button-downs. This one is stain-resistant!
How To Style
A white button-down shirt can elevate any look. Whether you’re wearing it with jeans or office wear. You can wear it with jeans, skirts, pants, and even under dresses. You can see how I styled it in this post. My go-to look is jeans and a white button down. It also looks great with a blazer, leather jacket, suede jacket, etc.
What To Wear UNDER the Button Down
You might be able to find a white button-down that doesn’t require wearing anything underneath other than a nude bra. If you do need something to wear underneath, I suggest a tank or camisole. I’m a brand ambassador for Jockey so I grabbed this Jockey slimming tank. It has built-in tummy control. They also have a seamless tank that’s very comfortable. You can also simply wear a regular cotton tank or cami. All of the Jockey tanks are long, which is a bonus for those with long torsos. For a dressier and sexier look, try a lace cami underneath.
What is your favorite way to wear a white button down? Please share in the comments below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my exclusive newsletter here. And, thank you for stopping by!