Most of us are searching for the perfect holiday outfit that is casual but chic right now. One REALLY easy way to broach holiday dressing is to grab one sparkly piece and build your outfit around that piece.
For example, below I’m styling a gorgeous sequin midi skirt. I wanted to share this sparkly, new midi skirt with you because it’s gorge and VERY affordable. It is also quite flattering for women over 40 covering your knees (a part of our bodies that many of us feel self-conscious about). If you haven’t tried a midi skirt yet, you definitely should! Midi length simply means the hemline falls somewhere between about 2 inches below the knees to above the ankles….in that zone. The length can be tricky, especially for those of you who are petite so we are also sharing essential tips to help you style your midi skirt below.
Midi Skirts for the Win!
First I want to talk about this GORGEOUS sequin midi skirt by Scoop. It’s a pull-on pencil skirt style so you don’t have to deal with zippers, hooks, buttons, etc. Yay for that! And, it’s super flattering. I love how this falls just below the knees on me. The skirt has a slit in the back making it easier to walk in, it’s lined, and it’s machine washable! The pencil skirt style hugs your curves and creates a sexy, sophisticated look. This is a great skirt to have in your closet during the holidays because you can dress it up or down depending on what top and accessories you choose. I paired it with a black Scoop turtleneck sweater and pumps. But you can shop your closet and style it however you want! Make it more casual and edgy with a graphic tee, moto jacket, and sneakers. Or dress it up with a cami and blazer.
Shop more by Scoop at Walmart here.
Midi Skirt Tips
- For the most flattering midi length, find a skirt that hits about 2 inches below your knees. Remember you can always tailor the hemline.
- Style it with something that defines your waist. A midi skirt that hits at your natural waist (usually the slimmest part of your torso) is best for creating waist definition!
- Depending on the skirt, make sure you keep proportions and volume in mind. For example, if you’re wearing an a-line, flowy skirt, wear something more fitted on top so you don’t have a ton of volume on the bottom AND the top. The skirt I’m wearing above is fitted so I could wear something more voluminous on top but I opted for a fitted sleek look on top and bottom instead.
- Choose shoes that don’t shorten your legs. To make your legs look their longest, go pointed-toe heels. I’m wearing black, but skin tone pumps or heels will elongate you even more. Ankle boots or shoes with an ankle strap could cut you off. So be careful with your shoe choice! If you missed my video on how I build outfits, make sure you watch that here.
- Fabric choices can also be tricky with a midi skirt. The silk midi skirt was very trendy last year, and I loved the look. But that silky fabric can be very unforgiving. And as women over 40, we want fabrics that are more forgiving, right!? Thicker fabrics in darker colors is what you should look for! This skirt has sequins which will also add volume. It’s a perfect option for those of you are inverted triangle body shapes or proportionate. If you’re not sure what body shape you are, start here.
More From Walmart
Walmart has tons of great styles to choose from this holiday season. Scoop and Sofia Vergara are my two favorite brands for the most stylish, affordable options! You can shop everything from holiday statement pieces to winter basics!
A Chic & Affordable Holiday Party Outfit You’ll Love!
This Perfect Fall Outfit Looks So Luxe, But Is Insanely Affordable!
The Best Fall Trend For Women Over 40 To Wear This Year
How To Make Your Legs Look Longer
Jumpsuits For Women Over 40 | How To Make The Trend Work For You
2 Ways To Wear Shorts Over 40 (And Not Look Ridiculous)
Three Tops *Under $30* You’ll Love For Summer
3 Must-Have Style Staples For Spring/Summer Under $50!
The Best White Hot Fashion Finds At Walmart Right Now
The Walmart Jacket That Gets The Most Compliments!
Two Ways To Style A Long Cardigan
Huge thank you to Walmart for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Be sure to subscribe to my weekly newsletter to receive some awesome freebies. And sign up for the Hive to get answers to all your style questions!